According to the Telegraph, the eggs in the cocoon started hatching shortly after Layton discovered them, whereupon the 43-year-old mother of two sealed the spider-infested bananas in a container and placed them in her freezer. She maintained that the arachnids were Brazilian wandering spiders (“the most poisonous in the world”) after conducting a Google search and called Tesco to complain about the potentially deadly bananas she had purchased.
When she received little help from customer service, she posted the above-displayed image on Facebook along with a message urging Tesco to remedy the problem:
I just found this on a banana my husband bought from tesco. Does it look like a spider cocoon to anyone? I called Tesco three times and was told to bring it back to the store. I opened the bag and chucked it in the bin before I spotted this thing. Should I take the bin to the store too and my fruit bowl? Would Tesco like to come round to check whether any baby spiders are in our house?
Although Tesco attempted to resolve the issue, the company did not send anyone to Layton’s residence to take care of the spiders:
“Our policy is for the customer to take the product to the store where it can be investigated. We don’t have a service whereby someone can go out to the home.”
The Brazilian wandering spider was named the world’s most venomous spider by the Guinness Book of World Records in 2010. Although the spider’s bite can be deadly, its venom is currently being studied for use in erectile dysfunction medication.
Last updated: 12 March 2015