- Sisters should never marry on the same day, or even during the same year, lest this action condemn them both to unhappy marriages.
- A woman must not be married in the same church she was christened in.
- Brides must not read the whole of the wedding ceremony before getting hitched, lest the wedding not come about.
- The prudent bride will feed the cat before leaving for the church. Such an act will ensure her happiness.
- Speaking of cats, the sneeze from one on the wedding day is said to foretell a happy marriage.
- Bridal tears during the ceremony are considered lucky, but tears at any other moment during the wedding day are said to foreshadow a marriage full of them.
- It's unlucky to have a widow at the wedding ceremony.
- If the solemnity of the service is momentarily interrupted by the sound of a crying child, this should be taken as a happy sign.
Barbara "cry baby" Mikkelson
Last updated: 27 June 2005