Virus: “Obama Acceptance Speech” or “Amazing Speech by Obama”
[Collected via e-mail, November, 2008]
It has recently been brought to our attention that some scam emails are being propagated with a subject line of any of the following. Please do not open any of these messages, simply delete them.
McCane dies of heart attack
Amazing speech by Obama
Election Center 2008: Primary Results
World Welcomes Obama’s Win
Barack Obama in Danger – McCain will fight for president post
These email messages may appear to be from legitimate news sources, and will try to lure you into clicking on a link that will direct you to a malicious web site, or opening an infected video clip or attachment.
[Collected via e-mail, December, 2008]
This email came from a source at the Secret Service, so please be aware of any mails with the subject line below.
THERE IS AN EMAIL WITH SUBJECT LINE OBAMA ACCEPTANCE SPEECH FLOATING AROUND WITH A TROJAN HORSE ATTACHMENT.
DO NOT OPEN FOR ANY REASON. DELETE IMMEDIATELY.
THE TROJAN STEALS ALL PASSWORDS AND USER IDS.
SPREAD THE WORD.
Do not open (“Obama Acceptance Speech”).
Origins: Messages purporting to offer links to news sites or videos with information about a current news event of great importance have long been used as successful virus lures, and the
- A new president, a new congress …
- Barack Obama wins
- Can Obama win popular vote but lose election?
- Did Obama Win Yet?
- Election 2008: Time lapse of U.S. counties
- Election Center 2008 – Election Results
- Election Night Results
- Fear of a Black President
- New president’s
- Obama win an Electoral College majority
- Obama win Defined by Race
- Obama win preferred in world poll
- Obama win sets stage for showdown
- Obama Wouldnt Be First Black President
- Obama’s Win Reshapes the Race
- Priorities for the New President – TIME
- The new President’s cabinet?
- USA Election 2008 Results
- Will American Voters Elect a Black President
- World Welcomes Obama’s Win
The enclosed video links direct recipients to a malicious web site that tries to trick users into downloading a file (Adobe_flash9.exe) purportedly offering an updated version of Adobe Flash but actually harboring
Last updated: 5 January 2009