COVID-19 Creates Dire US Shortage of Teachers, School Staff

In some areas, principals are filling in as crossing guards, teachers are being offered signing bonuses, and schools are moving back to online learning.

• Published
FILE - In this Aug. 12, 2021, file photo, a student gets help with his mask from transitional kindergarten teacher Annette Cuccarese during the first day of classes at Tustin Ranch Elementary School in Tustin, Calif. Now that California schools have welcomed students back to in-person learning, they face a new challenge: A shortage of teachers and all other staff, the likes of which some districts say they've never seen. (Paul Bersebach/The Orange County Register via AP, File)
Image via AP Photo/Paul Bersebach

This article was republished here with permission from The Associated Press, however it is no longer available to read on Snopes.com.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — One desperate California school district is sending flyers home in students’ lunchboxes, telling parents it’s “now hiring.” Elsewhere, principals are filling in as crossing guards, teachers are being offered signing bonuses and schools are moving back to online learning. Now that schools have welcomed students back to classrooms, they face a new challenge: a shortage of teachers and staff the likes of which some districts say they have never seen. Public…

Read at AP News