Pelé Says Apparent Colon Tumor Removed but Feels Well

The operation was a "great victory,” Pelé said on his social media channels on Monday.

  • Published
FILE - In this Dec. 1, 2017 file photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. On his social media accounts, Pele said on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021 that an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon had been removed in an operation. (AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko, File)
Image via AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko

This article was republished here with permission from The Associated Press, however it is no longer available to read on Snopes.com.

Pelé has had an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon removed in an operation. Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said on Monday the 80-year-old soccer great is in an intensive care unit and will be transferred to a regular room on Tuesday. The operation was a “great victory,” Pelé said on his social media channels on Monday. He went to the hospital for routine exams last week when the tumor was…

Read at AP News