Justice Dept. Says It’ll No Longer Seize Reporters’ Records

The practice received renewed scrutiny over the past month as Justice Department officials alerted reporters that their phone records had been obtained during the Trump administration.

  • Published
FILE - In this June 28, 2018, file photo, a police officer stands outside The New York Times building in New York. The Trump Justice Department secretly obtained the phone records of four New York Times journalists as part of a leak investigation, the newspaper said Wednesday, June 2, 2021. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)
Image via AP Photo/Mary Altaffer

This article was republished here with permission from The Associated Press, however it is no longer available to read on Snopes.com.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department said Saturday that it no longer will secretly obtain reporters’ records during leak investigations, a policy shift that abandons a practice decried by news organizations and press freedom groups. The reversal follows a pledge last month by President Joe Biden, who had said it was “simply, simply wrong” to seize journalists’ records and that his Justice Department would halt the practice. The tactic of using subpoenas and court orders…

Read at AP News