Old Wives' Tales
Radio & TV
Toxin du jour
Home --> Weddings --> Wedding Customs --> Assorted Wedding Superstitions
Assorted Wedding Superstitions
- Sisters should never marry on the same day, or even during the same year, lest this action condemn them both to unhappy marriages.
- A woman must not be married in the same church she was christened in.
- Brides must not read the whole of the wedding ceremony before getting hitched, lest the wedding not come about.
- The prudent bride will feed the cat before leaving for the church. Such an act will ensure her happiness.
- Speaking of cats, the sneeze from one on the wedding day is said to foretell a happy marriage.
- Bridal tears during the ceremony are considered lucky, but tears at any other moment during the wedding day are said to foreshadow a marriage full of them.
- It's unlucky to have a widow at the wedding ceremony.
- If the solemnity of the service is momentarily interrupted by the sound of a crying child, this should be taken as a happy sign.
Barbara "cry baby" Mikkelson
27 June 2005
Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2014 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.
- Hole, Christina. The Encyclopedia of Superstitions.
- New York: Barnes & Noble, 1996. ISBN 0-76070-228-4.
- Opie, Iona and Moira Tatem. A Dictionary of Superstitions.
- Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989. ISBN 0-19-282-916-5.
- Pickering, David. Dictionary of Superstitions.
- London: Cassell, 1995. ISBN 0-304-345350.
- Tuleja, Tad. Curious Customs.
- New York: Harmony Books, 1987. ISBN 0-517-56654-0.