Claim: The state of New York is requiring residents to take their lawn mowers for annual safety inspections.
Example: [Collected via e-mail, July 2014]
Origins: July 2014 saw the outbreak of an item claiming that residents of the state of
Starting in August 15, 2014 you have have your lawn mower safety inspected in
Any automotive service station currently licensed for motorcycle, car & truck safety inspections can inspect your mower. The NYS inspection fee is $10.00
What the state wants checked is:
1. The deck and or blade housing MUST be solid & rust free
2. The blades & shaft have to be in good condition (not bent or wobbly)
3. The wheels and or tires have to have at least .75" of tread on them and wheel bearings can not have more than .30" of free play
4. The engine must run at less than 85db. sound level
5. Blade brake and safety kill switch MUST function to specification.
6. The operator of the equipment must wear all OSHA approved safety gear (safety glasses, hearing protection, and proper steel toe safety shoes)
Tickets for violations will be handed out by local law officials, parking law enforcers & city officials. Each violation carries a $50.00 fine & $30.00 surcharge on it.
Unpaid tickets will result in the state seizure of your equipment.
Postings of this item were sometimes accompanied by a purported image of a state lawn mower inspection certificate:
The item was just a spoof, however, and the image a fabricated one produced through digital manipulation. No news or government sources have reported that
In 2015 this jape was modified to reference the Canadian province of Ontario:
Last updated: 8 October 2015