Claim: Recently released records document that Barack Obama received college financial aid in the U.S. as a "foreign student from Indonesia."
Example: [Collected via e-mail, April 2009]
Final Nail In Obamas Lack Of US Citizenship Coffin?
AP- WASHINGTON D.C. - In a move certain to fuel the debate over Obamas qualifications for the presidency, the group Americans for Freedom of Information has released copies of President Obamas college transcripts from Occidental College. Released today, the transcript indicates that Obama, under the name Barry Soetoro, received financial aid as a foreign student from Indonesia as an undergraduate at the school. The transcript was released by Occidental College in compliance with a court order in a suit brought by the group in the Superior Court of California. The transcript shows that Obama (Soetoro) applied for financial aid and was awarded a fellowship for foreign students from the Fulbright Foundation Scholarship program. To qualify, for the scholarship, a student must claim foreign citizenship. This document would seem to provide the smoking gun that many of Obamas detractors have been seeking.
The news has created a firestorm at the White House as the release casts increasing doubt about Obamas legitimacy and qualification to serve as president. When reached for comment in London, where he has been in meetings with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Obama smiled but refused comment on the issue. Meanwhile, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs scoffed at the report stating that this was obviously another attempt by a right-wing conservative group to discredit the president and undermine the administrations efforts to move the country in a new direction.
Britain's Daily Mail has also carried the story in a front-page article titled, Obama Eligibility Questioned, leading some to speculate that the story may overshadow economic issues on Obamas first official visit to the U.K.
In a related matter, under growing pressure from several groups, Justice Antonin Scalia announced that the Supreme Court agreed on Tuesday to hear arguments concerning Obamas legal eligibility to serve as President in a case brought by Leo Donofrio of
Gary Kreep of the United States Justice Foundation has released the results of their investigation of Obamas campaign spending. This study estimates that Obama has spent upwards of $950,000 in campaign funds in the past year with eleven law firms in
- The article is datelined "April 1, 2009" and tagged "AP," supposedly signifying it came from the Associated Press news agency. The date is a giveaway to the hoax (it's April Fool's Day), and the text of the article does not at all fit the standard Associated Press stylebook guidelines.
- There was no such group as "Americans for Freedom of Information" at the time this article began circulating (although someone has since registered a site using that domain name); in fact, a
web sitefor the then-faux organization was established to poke fun at those who believed it did:Read these tiny words very closely: the group Americans for Freedom of Information does not exist, just like the supposed "AP article" you keep cutting and pasting into e-mailsto your irritated family does not exist, just like the "Daily Mail article" referenced in the fake "AP article" does not exist. They're all fabrications. Fakes. Hoaxes. Ask yourself why you're so eager to believe these obvious fakes. No, really. Really, really ask yourself.
- Barack Obama attended Occidental College in California for two years as an undergraduate from
1979-81under the name Obama, not Soetoro (the latter is the surname of his Indonesian stepfather, Lolo Soetoro):Occidental has no record of a "Barry Soetoro" ever attending [Occidental], nor was there ever any such court order [requiring the school to turn over his transcripts], said Jim Tranquada, Occidental College'ÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â’s communications director, who personally answers the inquiries, demands and pleas of people looking for proof that the president is not who he claims to be.
Tranquada said: "Contemporary public documents, such as the
1979-80freshman 'Lookbook' [a guide distributed to incoming freshman] published at the beginning of President Obama's first year at Occidental, list him as Barack Obama. All of the Occidental alumni I have spoken to from that era (1979-81)who knew him, knew him as Barry Obama."
- If Barack Obama were an Indonesian citizen, he couldn't possibly have "received financial aid" or "been awarded a fellowship for foreign students" from the Fulbright Foundation Scholarship program while attending Occidental as an undergraduate. Fulbright scholarships for foreign students of Indonesian citizenship are coordinated through the American Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF), which does not fund Indonesians for undergraduate study in the United States (only for master's or doctorate programs).
- Barack Obama's student records from Occidental College remain unreleased. He has not chosen to make them public, nor has any court ordered the school to release them.
- Searches of newspaper archives and electronic news databases show that neither Britain's Daily Mail nor any other major UK newspaper published a front-page article entitled "Obama Eligibility Questioned" in 2009, nor did any such newspaper publish an article consisting of the text reproduced above.
- Leo Donofrio's lawsuit challenging Barack Obama's eligibility for the presidency was denied a hearing by the Supreme Court of
New Jerseyback in December 2008.It has not been taken up by the U.S. SupremeCourt.
- The web site of the United States Justice Foundation includes no report of an "investigation of Obama's campaign spending," and the executive director of that organization who is referenced in the
e-mail,Gary Kreep, said in response to an inquiry that the
Last updated: 13 March 2016
Abcarian, Robin. "'Birthers' Claim Obama Applied to College as a Foreigner." Los Angeles Times. 30 May 2012. Corcoran, Monica. "Barack Obama Went Hawaiian Casual at Occidental College in L.A." Los Angeles Times. 18 January 2009. Gordon, Larry. "Occidental Recalls 'Barry' Obama." Los Angeles Times. 29 January 2007.