Claim: President Obama is purging military leaders who will not agree to fire on U.S. citizens.
Example: [Collected via e-mail, January 2013]
Origins: For as long as we've been operating this web site (close to twenty years), the three most commonly and continuously circulated types of conspiracy theories have to do with claims that the President of the United States or some other federal agency is about to declare martial law, is readying mass internment facilities (i.e., concentration camps), or is preparing to use armed force against U.S. citizens.
The latest entry in the latter category comes courtesy of Dr. Jim Garrow, who posted on his Facebook page on
- The only supporting evidence for this claim is a single, second-hand account from an anonymous source.
- Not a single reputable news outlet has reported any such story.
- Not a single member of the U.S. military or the U.S. government has come forward to confirm the claim.
- No evidence documents that the U.S. military has experienced a recent purging of leaders from its ranks for "refusing to fire on U.S. citizens."
- This claim fits a common model of conspiracy theory which has been repeatedly espoused many times over (but has never proved true).
- The person spreading this warning is promulgating other discredited conspiracy theories, such as the claim that Adam Lanza did not use a version of an
AR-15rifle in the Sandy Hook shootings. (See this article for a debunking of that rumor.)
Last updated: 4 April 2015