What happened: An employee of a company used an Instant Hand Sanitizer available in the bathroom. He immediately went outside for a cigarette break. It was windy so he held his hand up to block the wind as he was lighting the cigarette and his hand burst into flames as he had not fully rubbed in the sanitizer.
The Cause: Purell® Instant Hand Sanitizer
Product Description: Kills 99.99% of common germs that may cause illness in as little as 15 seconds.
Use anytime, anyplace, without water or towels. Contains moisturizers and vitamin E.
Leaves hands feeling refreshed without stickiness or residue.
Warnings: For external use only. Flammable, keep away from fire or flame.
Recommendation: Advise employees to make sure they rub in the hand sanitizer thoroughly and wash hands before lighting a cigarette or putting their hand near any flame.
for PDF version of warning.]