Claim: A humorous questionnaire was once posted on the McDonnell-Douglas web site.
Example: [Collected via e-mail, 1996]
This was actually posted very briefly on the McDonnell Douglas web site by an employee there who obviously has a sense of humor. The company, of course, does not (have a sense of humor) – and made the web department take it down immediately. (McDonnell Douglas is one of the world’s chief suppliers of military aircraft).
Thank you for purchasing a McDonnell Douglas military aircraft. In order to protect your new investment, please take a few moments to fill out the warranty registration card below. Answering the survey questions is not required, but the information will help us to develop new products that best meet your needs and desires.
1. [_] Mr. [_] Mrs. [_] Ms. [_] Miss [_] Lt. [_] Gen. [_] Comrade [_] Classified
First Name: Initial:
Password: (max 8. char)
2. Which model aircraft did you purchase? [_] F-14 Tomcat [_] F-15 Eagle [_] F-16 Falcon [_] F-117A Stealth [_] Classified
3. Date of purchase (Year/Month/Day): / /
4. Serial Number:
5. Please check where this product was purchased:
[_] Received as gift/aid package [_] Catalog showroom [_] Independent arms broker [_] Mail order [_] Discount store [_] Government surplus [_] Classified
6. Please check how you became aware of the McDonnell Douglas product you have just purchased:
7. Please check the three (3) factors that most influenced your decision to purchase this McDonnell Douglas product:
[_] Style/appearance [_] Speed/maneuverability [_] Price/value [_] Comfort/convenience [_] Kickback/bribe [_] Recommended by salesperson [_] McDonnell Douglas reputation [_] Advanced Weapons Systems [_] Backroom politics [_] Negative experience opposing one in combat
8. Please check the location(s) where this product will be used:
[_] North America [_] Iraq [_] Iraq [_] Aircraft carrier [_] Iraq [_] Europe [_] Iraq [_] Middle East (not Iraq) [_] Iraq [_] Africa [_] Iraq [_] Asia/Far East [_] Iraq [_] Misc. Third World countries [_] Iraq [_] Classified [_] Iraq
9. Please check the products that you currently own or intend to purchase in the near future:
10. How would you describe yourself or your organization? (Check all that apply)
[_] Communist/Socialist [_] Terrorist [_] Crazed [_] Neutral [_] Democratic [_] Dictatorship [_] Corrupt [_] Primitive/Tribal
11. How did you pay for your McDonnell Douglas product?
[_] Deficit spending [_] Cash [_] Suitcases of cocaine [_] Oil revenues [_] Personal check [_] Credit card [_] Ransom money [_] Traveler’s check
12. Your occupation:
[_] Homemaker [_] Sales/marketing [_] Revolutionary [_] Clerical [_] Mercenary [_] Tyrant [_] Middle management [_] Eccentric billionaire [_] Defense Minister/General [_] Retired [_] Student
13. To help us understand our customers’ lifestyles, please indicate the interests and activities in which you and your spouse enjoy participating on a regular basis:
[_] Golf [_] Boating/sailing [_] Sabotage [_] Running/jogging [_] Propaganda/disinformation [_] Destabilization/overthrow [_] Default on loans [_] Gardening [_] Crafts [_] Black market / smuggling [_] Collectibles / collections [_] Watching sports on TV [_] Wines [_] Interrogation/torture [_] Household pets [_] Crushing rebellions [_] Espionage/reconnaissance [_] Fashion clothing [_] Border disputes [_] Mutually Assured Destruction
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this questionnaire. Your answers will be used in market studies that will help McDonnell Douglas serve you better in the future – as well as allowing you to receive mailings and special offers from other companies, governments, extremist groups, and mysterious consortia. As a bonus for responding to this survey, you will be registered to win a brand new
Comments or suggestions about our fighter planes? Please write to:
McDONNELL DOUGLAS CORPORATION
Origins: This piece of humor has been floating around since the early days of the web, supposedly posted on McDonnell-Douglas’ web site by an employee (it wasn’t) before it was quickly removed by order of management. (McDonnell-Douglas merged with Boeing in 1997.)
Last updated: 9 April 2007