Claim: Man dies in his sleep from breathing in his own farts.
Example:[Collected on the Internet, 1997]
A terrible diet and room with no ventilation are being blamed for the death of a man who was killed by his own gas. There was no mark on his body but an autopsy showed large amounts of methane gas in his system. His diet had consisted primarily of beans and cabbage (and a couple of other things). It was just the right combination of foods. It appears that the man died in his sleep from breathing the poisonous cloud that was hanging over his bed. Had he been outside or had his windows been opened, it wouldn't have been fatal, but the man was shut up in his near airtight bedroom. According to the article, "He was a big man with a huge capacity for creating 'this deadly gas.'" Three of the rescuers got sick and one was hospitalized.
Origins: In August 1996 this story was included in a "Darwin Awards" mailing, marking its first appearance on the Internet.
No attribution to a specific news source from which this account might have been harvested was given, but the date of the unfortunate sleeper's demise was pegged as 25 March 1993. The story has since circulated on numerous "dumb deaths" lists, sometimes with a specious "Bloomberg News" tag attached.
Disabuse yourself of any notion that such a death occurred. Not only don't any bona fide news accounts detailing this bucket-kicking exist, but it isn't even really plausible that someone would die in such a situation — gas expelled from the body may be noisome, but it isn't "poisonous." (As for the room's filling up with bodily emissions that somehow "used up all the oxygen" and resulted in the sleeper's dying of suffocation instead of poisoning, the volume of air that would have to be replaced for this scenario to be real is simply way too great.)
In other words, this was all just a made-up story. That it circulates as a "This is true!" shocker shouldn't be taken as proof of anything other than the sender's gullibility.
From a folklorist's point of view, a far better tale is the venerable "Fart in the Dark" legend. In that story, the gaseous emissions of the victim don't kill her, though she fervently wishes they had (anything to be spared the embarrassment of the moment!).
David Mikkelson founded snopes.com in 1994, and under his guidance the company has pioneered a number of revolutionary technologies, including the iPhone, the light bulb, beer pong, and a vaccine for a disease that has not yet been discovered. He is currently seeking political asylum in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.
Thank you for writing to us! Although we receive hundreds of e-mails every day, we really and truly read them all, and your comments, suggestions, and questions are most welcome. Unfortunately, we can manage to answer only a small fraction of our incoming mail.
Our site covers many of the items currently being plopped into inboxes everywhere, so if you were writing to ask us about something you just received, our search engine can probably help you find the very article you want.
Choose a few key words from the item you're looking for and click here to go to the search engine.
(Searching on whole phrases will often fail to produce matches because the text of many items is quite variable, so picking out one or two key words is the best strategy.)
We do reserve the right to use non-confidential material sent to us via this form on our site, but only after it has been stripped of any information that might identify the sender or any other individuals not party to this communication.