Claim: Image shows newspaper account of a kitten who nearly died from being fed a vegan diet.
Example:[Collected via Facebook, June 2014]
Is this a real article?
Origins: June 2014 saw the recirculation of an image of a year-old article (reproduced above) regarding a kitten that nearly died after its owners kept in on a strict vegan diet. As reported in the Melbourne, Australia Herald Sun back on 22 July 2013, the kitten in question was treated with IV fluids and a meat diet for three days, then released to its owners with instructions for proper feeding:
The horrific case at a North Melbourne animal hospital has prompted a warning about the dangers of people "forcing ideologies" on their pets.
Lort Smith Animal Hospital veterinarian Leanne Pinfold said the kitten was brought in this month by its owners, who were believed to be vegan.
She said the kitten's diet of potatoes, rice milk and pasta had caused it to become critically ill.
"It was extremely weak and collapsed when it came in. It was almost non-responsive,"Dr Pinfold said.
The kitten was given fluids via a drip, placed on a heat pad and fed meat.
It remained in hospital for three days after which the kitten's owners were given meat to feed their pet at home, she said.
Dr Pinfold said as obligate or true carnivores, cats needed meat to survive.
Dr Pinfold said she had not come across a similar case in her 11 years as a veterinarian.
Last updated: 9 June 2014
Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2015 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.